How to File an Amended Tax Return

We all know filing taxes is not the easiest job in the world (that’s why you hire us to help!) Mistakes do happen from time to time, so what do you do when you realize there is an error after you’ve already handed in your returns?

Well, there are two options:

  1. The first option is plain and simple: do nothing. If it’s related to a mathematical error, the IRS will usually automatically fix it. If you forgot a certain form or schedule, the IRS will usually send you a request for them.
  2. The second option is to file an amended tax return if you made an error claiming your filing status, income, deductions or credits on your original return.

An Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, also known as Form 1040X, can usually be filed up to three years after the date you filed your original tax returns to claim a refund. Amended tax returns take up to 12 weeks to process, and you can track its status with the ‘Where’s My Amended Return?’ tool on

If you need to send in amended tax return, check out the IRS’ Ten Facts about Amended Tax Returns to learn more and don’t forget to contact Nakata Consulting if you have any questions!